Saturday, January 28, 2012

Names-Part 2

One revealing aspect of the movie A Day Without a Mexican that came as a surprise to me was how agriculture is California’s number one industry.  When I think of California, the first images that come to my mind are places I have traveled to in the state:  Hollywood, in and around Los Angeles, the Pacific Ocean, national parks such as Yosemite and the Sequoias, and touristy areas such as Chinatown in San Francisco.  None of these stereotypes have anything to do with farming and how much California’s economy revolves around the labor of undocumented workers, labeled as “Mexicans.”  Because of this, A Day Without a Mexican was very eye-opening for me in how it overturned many stereotypes about a place that I have experienced differently from the people who actually live there, although I have some experience with the stereotypical term.

I lived in a small town of about 360 people in rural Nebraska for the first 18 years of my life.  Despite its lack of population, Shickley, Nebraska population consists of relatively rich farmers who make a good living off the profit that comes from raising corn and soybeans on thousands of acres of rich, Nebraska soil.  My peers growing up, then, reflected relatively very little diversity, except for the Latino family that moved to town when I was in fourth grade.  José was in my brother’s class and he became one of my brother’s best friends as they grew up together.  Even though José’s family was from California, he and his brothers and sisters were still labeled the “Mexicans” of Shickley, even though he and his younger siblings couldn’t really speak Spanish and had never been to Mexico

How does racial stereotyping of people and places happen so instantaneously, especially in a town the size of Shickley?  I believe it all goes back to the significance that a “name” or a “label” has in our society today.  A Day Without a Mexican was a good representation of this idea (even though it was a little below the benchmark of a high quality film) and showed how we citizens of the United States do not realize where we would be without the undocumented population. 

What’s in a name?  We all responded to the meaning our names have to us in our initial blog posts, addressing those given to us at birth.  But what about our cultural names?  I am citizen of the United States or an American, but Americans populate Central and South America as well.  Why do we citizens of the United States use such a lax term to label ourselves?  Even the Spanish word Estadounidense is more precise than our own word for us!  In using the term American, then, we already (though unknowingly?) use the definition of the word to include those from the south who we also mark as undocumented.   

5 comments:

  1. I hadn't realized that agriculture was California's number one industry either. But, now that I think about it, that really makes sense. They've got lots of great land diversity--ocean, mountains, farmland. With that, they can grow about anything I'm guessing. It's interesting... I had never thought about California being an agricultural state, but once I actually take the time to think about what I know about the state itself, it seems that I shouldn't be surprised at all about that.

    In this way, it's kind of like I had a stereotype of the state of California--as being rich and tanned and all about the show biz. I think the same is often true with the stereotypes of people... Often we just assume things about people based on one truth (like Hollywood) and fail to recognize all the other truths that may be more evident (grapes, produce, etc).

    Also, good point about U.S.ians referring to ourselves as Americans. It's rather conceited of us as a whole, especially if we are so set on excluding others.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Steph, I like your point about our egocentric way of referring to ourselves as "Americans." I remember the first time I was taught that American can mean anyone from North America, Central America, or South America. It made me realize how ridiculous I sounded when I assumed American could only refer to those from the US.

    Your story about one Latino family in the small town of Nebraska made me laugh/cringe. I too was raised in school settings where not a lot of diversity existed. I had forgotten how different the racial statistics are in Goshen and Harleysville, PA until my friend from home visited last year and made some comment about there being "Hispanics everywhere." It is not something I think about and it makes me uncomfortable to think about how I can think of only one Latino family in my church- a church of over 500 people.

    Was your brother's friend Jose offended by the immediate stereotypes that people made about him? Did growing up near him influence your own perspectives of the meaning of the word "Latino/a"?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like what you said about how we define ourselves so vaguely. I definitely fall into the habit of calling myself American – which I suppose isn't incorrect as much as it is incomplete. For a while I tried to get around this by saying “I'm from the States,” as my Canadian family does, but one of my Spanish conversation partners pointed out to me that there are other countries that are comprised of states, too. I've increasingly heard “USonian” as a term, and I rather like that one, though it seems a bit cumbersome and a little goofy.

    In thinking about this I realized that USonians are not the only people to refer to ourselves by our continent (though we are perhaps less aware of how broadly we are categorizing ourselves). Africa, Asia, and Europe are continents, not a countries, but we like to describe people as being African, Asian, or European as much as we do Nigerian, Japanese, or French – and sometimes it seems as if people from those areas do the same. There are so many ways to define ourselves that I wonder how we ever make sense of them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also found that to be a fact I never knew about California, that their agricultural contributed so much to their economy. I went on Google and found out that California accounts for 16% of our countries crops. They also contribute to 7% of U.S. revenue for livestock and livestock products. When I think California I think L.A., Hollywood, the rich and famous. When I think agricultural tractors and fields, I think Midwest. However the temperature and rich soil allow for crops to be grown year round, much like a Mediterranean climate. California produces more than 350 crops while producing more than half of the countries fruits vegetables and nuts. I thought I would share these interesting facts I found.

    Sources
    http://www.agclassroom.org/kids/stats/california.pdf
    http://www.cdfa.ca.gov/statistics/

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the title of your post, "Names - 2," connecting back to our earlier assignment to write about our given names in response to Sandra Cisneros's essay "My Name." Except now the circle has gotten larger and we are asking about our cultural names, our national names. And Americans (US-ers) have a magically changing name that is either specific or imperialistically broad, depending on the situation. Your personal example of the one Latino family in your hometown of Shickley, Nebraska is poignant. Here's a family of Americans whom everyone refers to as Mexicans. That's like calling the Swartzendrubers Germans, isn't it? Since neither language or national difference were involved, what made people refer to Jose's family as Mexican?

    ReplyDelete