Saturday, February 18, 2012

Why Study Literature?

            In one of my classes during the first week of school, we discussed the importance of studying literature, especially that of a specific group of people.  Our class eventually decided that literature describes the history of a people through giving them a voice to tell it in their own manner.  Because history from textbooks and articles about current events tend to be written from just one perspective, it is important to read accounts of a culture written by people from the culture itself that give it a more accurate and greater dimension.  Novels and other forms of realistic fiction or non-fiction, such as the books Bless Me, Ultima, The Guardians, and The Devil’s Highway show the themes from Chicano literature through the eyes of people who have actually encountered border issues, etc.  Journalism is not able to convey to the reader what it feels like to experience the stages of heat exhaustion, as Urrea did in The Devil’s Highway, or to have such different life expectations from mother and father, as Antonio did in Bless Me, Ultima.  In short, then, literature gives more life to a group of people than journalism ever can through relaying real-life experiences in a way that the reader can personally connect
           
            Through taking this class, I have learned a lot about Mexican/Latino culture and how it relates to American culture.  When we talked about our different identities in class, it was interesting to see how many people came to the United States because of displacement, or to build a better life for family.  In a way, then, each person could write a different story of their own experiences or culture.  Everyone’s story is important, whatever culture, and the best way to convey experiences is through a writing style that brings the original story to life again.    

9 comments:

  1. Culture and literature often seem to go hand in hand. In the Borderlands/la frontera excerpt we read Anzaldua talked about how the Latinos have not been truly accepted into American culture. We have also talked some about how it has only been recently that literature written by Latinos has been considered to make it into the high school curriculum. When a groups literature is accepted it seems to mean that their story and history are accepted by the greater world. This class has showed me a part of the American culture that I had not really experienced before and I really enjoyed learning about their story and culture.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Literature is such an important thing to study. I think it's so important that I want to spend my life teach it to other people... English Education major, here I come! But, I do wish that rather than "English" we called it just "Literature." Because, really, the literature we read is from so many different world cultures, backgrounds and beliefs that by limiting it to just "English" we are doing ourselves a disservice.

    In one of the education classes I took last year, the professor really focused on how we could be culturally inclusive in our classrooms... I'm realizing that can be really difficult, especially if as the teacher you are limited to one language and one experience. Then, that itself becomes more reason to teach the next generation to appreciate literature of other cultures.

    Wow. I just re-convinced myself that I want to be an English teacher.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the angle you take in this post. Talking about why we read what we read is something that is often assumed, and consequently not thought through enough. You remind me of why I want to teach literature, because I can’t agree more with the skewed tellings of textbooks or the limited connection of journalists.

    In someways, it can become almost overwhelming when you think about the number of stories out there. Like you say, everyone has a story they could tell about their place in the culture. When you think about the number of people even in a setting like Goshen College that have their own stories, its amazing. No wonder there is constantly new information to learn and envelop ourselves in.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We really do need to hear stories, and we need to hear them told well and told from a variety of perspectives. I think the personal connection you talk about is an incredibly powerful component of literature. I expected it in the first two books we read (the novels), but I was surprised to find such compassion and expressiveness in nonfiction book The Devil's Highway, though of course I was glad of it. I've taken a class on Immigration and like to think that I have a decent familiarity with national policies and broader economic issues, but this knowledge pales in comparison to the lasting knowledge stories give.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Something I would like to see more of is high school teachers assigning books written by Latino Literature. I think it’s important, like you said, to have people experience such great writings. Plus with the rise in Latino children in schools I believe it’s important to reach out to all. Also like you I have not read many books by Latino authors. I am very happy that I have taken this class and had to opportunity to learning and read such great writing. I now think it’s time though for teachers to incorporate Latino works. And I wonder if it may change the way we think about Latinos.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Why study literature? It is such a powerful tool to use for anybody to express themselves. In this first section of the class, we learned, through literature, about a certain group of people in the United States. I am closely connected to the Mexican American culture but even I learned some things through these novels, especially the border issues. I've never spent more time reading about it until now and I am glad that it has happened. I see a struggle that my people are going through right now and it makes me appreciate where I am today, where my family came from, and why I am here. I am Latino and my view on Latino Culture has changed a bit when I read these novels.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Stephanie, your comments really opened the way for a lot of discussion! Glad you explored the big picture of why read the literature of a particular group. As well as hearing the story of a people through their own voices, we also learn that there are many voices and stories within one culture. I think the class you are referring to is World Lit and I hope you are finding a lot of connections between the two classes. Lynn put it well in her comment above: "When a group's literature is accepted it seems to mean that their story and history are accepted by the greater world." The task is now, for those of you who are becoming teachers, is to find a way to include some of this literature in the courses you will teach.

    ReplyDelete
  9. PS to Tavo, above--so glad you are part of this class and that you are finding a new appreciation for your people and their stories here. Thanks for sharing your perspective with the class.

    ReplyDelete